Keywords = demand for something
Keywords are what people type in search engines to find information and as a search engine or digital marketer it’s important to know what your target customers are typing or looking for. This is core to SEM & SEO activities. Every search is an expression of people’s needs, wants, interests and desires. Imagine how your business would benefit if you could analyze search trends on search engines, find search terms that are related to your business domain and customize content on your website to serve the actual needs of your customers.
Primarily there are 3 types of keywords
- Short-tail keyword – Ex. android phones (volume will be high so will be competition)
- Long-tail keyword – Ex. android phones running on Nougat with 4GB RAM (these are more specific with less search volume and also less competition). Low risk, High conversion.
- LSI keywords – Latent Semantic Indexing or LSI keyowords, sounds too sophisticated than what it actually is. They are the synonyms or related words to the subject of the content. For example, if you are talking about android mobile phones, your content should also contain words related to it, like Marshmallow, Kitkat, Jelly Bean, Samsung, Lenevo, etc. Apart from targeted keywords, your content should be include synonyms to convince search engine spiders that your content is relevant.
Targeting long tail keywords is a good strategy for driving relevant organic search traffic. But you can use long tail keywords in your paid search campaigns too. Because of lower competition, such keywords usually have lower cost per click (CPC), while bring your ads higher on the search result pages. Combined with higher conversion rates, long tail keywords generate much better return on your ad investments. But use of LSI keywords is also important, like including some jargons in your content to convince search engines about your worthiness.
Here’s a good read on Long-tail keywords and how to use them.
Below are the list of tools which you can use to decide on which keywords to be used.
Simple Keyword Finding Tools
- The SEO Tools (Free) – It is very easy and quick to use.
- Google Keyword Planner (Free) – You just need to sign-up for adwords account to use it. It is one of the most used tool for keyword research.
- Soovle (Free) – It allows to explore 27 search engines for keywords. It auto generates ideas as you type.
- Keyword Discovery (Free) – This tool will give you a list of generic and long-tail keywords.
- Moz (Premium)
- Uber Suggest (Free) – It comes along with Chrome extension, Install the free KeywordEverywhere extension for Chrome and Firefox and you’ll get search volume and CPC for free.
- FreshKey (Premium) – It can do buyers research across different channels like google marketplace, amazon, ebay, etsy, youtube, etc.
Tools to Find Long Tail Keywords
- KW Finder ( Long-tail keyword)
- Keyword Tool (Premium- Limited access to free version) – It is good for long-tail keyword. You can use it absolutely for free, even without creating an account.
- Wordstream (Free) – It claims to be more accurate and reliable than Google as is backed up by a database of over a trillion search queries on various search engines. It also comes with a tool called Keyword Niche Finder, which claims to group tightly related keywords.
- RankBrain (Limited Free Access) – It is powered with Google AutoComplete Long Tail Keywords
- Keyword Tool Dominator (Free) – The Google Autocomplete Keyword Tool is a free keyword tool used to find long tail keywords directly from Google search.
- Hit Tail (Premium) – It is the only long tail keyword tool that generates keyword suggestions by analyzing your existing website traffic. With over 1.4 billion keywords analyzed, HitTail is a proven tool for driving more search visitors to your website.
- WordTracker (Limited Free Access) – It allows negative keyword search.
Tools to Get LSI Keywords
- LSI Graph (Free)
- Answer The Public (Free) – It will give you suggestions and ideas related to your keywords in seconds.
Tools Which Will Help You Analyse Your Competitors’ Keywords
- SEM Rush (Limited Free Access)
- Serpstat (Limited Free Access) – It allows to choose between international Google databases such as Canada, South Africa or Australia and Index, the big Russian search engine
- Keyword Spy (Limited Free Access)
- SpyFu (Limited Free Access)
Apart from these, marketers should also consider looking into Google suggest & Google trends.
Selling at amazon ? Scope shows you the keywords that drive sales on Amazon. Discover new keywords from top-selling products to improve your Amazon SEO and PPC strategy.
In case you know about some other good keyword analysis tool, please share that with us in comment.